Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials for consideration for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2022/2023.
Funding is made available through the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship program to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both domestically and abroad, who will make a beneficial contribution to the expansion of Canada’s research-based economy as well as its social and research-based sectors.
Each year, seventy (70) fellowships are given out to deserving individuals. At any given time, there are up to a total of 140 prizes that are active. Each of the three research councils in Canada—the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)—receive an equal number of fellowships (SSHRC).
Conditions for Government of Canada Banting Postgraduate Fellowship Eligibility
- Citizens of Canada, permanent residents of Canada, and citizens of other countries may apply if they meet the following requirements:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents are only permitted to hold a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents and who received their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a foreign university are only eligible to hold a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents and who received their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
- Applicants to the 2022-23 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete or have completed all degree requirements for a Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree between September 15, 2019, and September 30, 2023 (inclusive), and prior to the award’s start date.
- Applicants who have not completed all degree requirements as of the application deadline (15 October 2023) are required to submit evidence.
- For applicants with more than one Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to their most recent degree.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program has the Following Objectives:
- Attract and retain the national and international postdoctoral talent of the highest caliber.
- Develop their potential for leadership.
- Prepare them for future success as research leaders.
Value Of Scholarship
The annual value of the fellowship is $70,000 (taxable). No additional funds are provided for travel or research.
Dates and Scholarship Process
- April to September 2022: Applicants seek endorsement from the host institution to apply, prepare and submit applications (institutions may have internal deadlines).
- September 21, 2022 (20:00 EDT): Deadline for complete application submission
- October to December 2022: Evaluation of applications
- Mid-February 2023: Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.